Podfly hosts use a wide array of gear and equipment for recording their shows. The team at Podfly has spent years in the broadcast and podcast industry and have encountered and tested pretty much everything out there!
Below we've listed some examples of products that we feel are perfect for just about anyone's needs.
During your consultation with a Podfly producer, you will be guided through ordering, setup, and use of your new equipment!
If you plan on being the only host for the show, and connecting with co-hosts and guest online, a single USB microphone will do the job. Here are a couple of microphones we recommend to our clients.
Single Host Setup - Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver
- Tri-capsule array - 3 condenser capsules can record almost any situation
- Multiple pattern selection - cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional & stereo
- Gain control, mute button, zero-latency headphone output
- Perfect for vocals, musical instruments, podcasting, voiceovers, interviews, field recordings, conference calls
- Plug 'n play - Mac and PC compatible
The Yeti requires no complicated drivers to operate; simply plug it into your computer's USB port with the included USB cable, calibrate it with your operating system, and you're ready to record. The microphone is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (Home and Professional), and Mac OS X (10.4.11 or higher), and requires a minimum of 64 MB of RAM.
GREAT SOUND, GREAT PRICE!
Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone
- Handheld dynamic microphone with USB digital output and XLR analog output
- USB output connects to your computer for digital recording, while the XLR output connects with your sound system conventional microphone input for use in live performance
- Smooth, extended frequency response ideally suited for podcasting, home studio recording, field recording, voiceover, and on-stage use
- Built-in headphone jack allows you to directly monitor your microphone output without audible delay
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of unwanted sounds from the sides and rear
Let's have some friends over!
Podfly recommends the Scarlett line of USB interfaces. These are compatible with all computers, and sound amazing! If you are planning to connect multiple microphones, we suggest you look at the examples below.
2 Host Setup - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB Recording Audio Interface
- High Quality Mic Preamps
- Excellent Digital Performance
- Rugged Metal Unibody Case
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface, Truly Portable Interface
- Bundle includes: Ableton Live Lite authorization code and the Focusrite Scarlett Plug-In Suite
2 Or More Hosts Setup - Focusrite SCARLETT 18i8 18 In/8 Out USB 2.0 Audio Interface with Four Focusrite Mic Preamps
- Four award-winning Focusrite mic pres with 18 inputs and 8 outputs
- Two independent headphone outputs each with a level control
- Rugged metal unibody chassis
- High quality 24bit 96KHz audio interface for Mac, PC and iPad
- Scarlett MixControl ultra-low-latency DSP mixer and router
SHURE SM7B VOCAL DYNAMIC MICROPHONE, CARDIOID
- Flat, wide-range frequency response for exceptionally clean and natural reproduction of both music and speech. Bass rolloff and mid-range emphasis (presence boost) controls with graphic display of response setting.
- Improved rejection of electromagnetic hum, optimized for shielding against broadband interference emitted by computer monitors. Highly effective pop filter eliminates need for any add-on protection against explosive breath sounds, even for close-up vocals.
- Now shipping with the A7WS detachable windscreen, designed to reduce plosive sounds and gives a warmer tone for close-talk vocals. Yoke mounting with captive stand nut for easy mounting and dismounting provides precise control of microphone position.
- Classic cardioid polar pattern, uniform with frequency and symmetrical about axis, to provide maximum rejection and minimum coloration of off-axis sound. Rugged construction and excellent cartridge protection for outstanding reliability.
- Includes foam winscreen, close-talk windscreen, and locking yoke mount.
Sennheiser HD 202 II Professional Headphones (Black)
- Ideal for DJ's and audio pros,Total harmonic distortion (THD): <0.5%
- Very clean, deep bass response,Jack plug 3.5/6.3 mm stereo
- Detachable ear cups for pro users
- 10 foot Y style cable, Frequency Range : 18Hz - 18kHz,Impedance: 32 Ohm
- Wind-up belt clip for excess cable
Heil Sound PL-2T Overhead Broadcast Boom
- Internal springsTop and back plates are removable for convenient cable threadingStandard C clamp mountAccepts standard 5/8" threaded mic clips/shockmounts
Looking for an all-in-one solution for studio and mobile?
MiC Studio quality microphone for iPad, iPhone, and Mac
- Pure DIGITAL connection for pristine sound quality
- Studio quality cardioid condenser microphone
- 44.1/48 kHz, 24-bit analog-to-digital conversion
- Studio quality microphone preamp with up to 40dB of gain
- No configuration, just plug in and record